ROB 1

ROB1 was my first prototype robot base. He’s a tail dragger controlled by an Arduino UNO. I used two continuous rotation servos, a gyro, and an Xbee. I had a second Xbee connected to my laptop, and using a terminal program I sent drive commands to ROB via the Xbees.

 

Build date: Feb 2014

In the video I show how the gyro is used to keep turn rotation at a constant speed, and keeps him driving in a straight line. If you try to turn him while he is standing still, he pushes back to stay in place. If you try to keep him from turning, he pushes harder. If you try to turn him while he is moving straight he pushes to maintain that straight line.

The jerky turns you see are because the gain is too high on the gyro. Basically it uses too much power to start turning, then backs off too much to slow down the turn, then uses too much power again to get back up speed, then backs off, etc. There is also a bug in my math, so it eventually overflows, and my logic kills the drive for safety.